Monday, August 08, 2005

In Theory

I'm stuck on dispositions at the moment. Thunk myself into a corner, you might say.

I have a feeling that somehow or another all knowledge is dispositional -I can't justify it any better than that at the moment, almost like the cop who is working on a gut feeling and is getting flack from the chief because he doesn't have the evidence to get a warrant. In any case, I don't want to break down the door only to find that dispositions are only applicable to properties, where they alledgedly belong - so I'm going to have to do some reasearch and find the evidence for the warrant. So to speak.

So, it's off to the metaphysics lab - the original home of the cloud chamber - to relearn everything I've forgotten about metaphysics and dispositions, and more.

In short - my feeling is that knowledge (how) is dispositional in the following sense:

A knows how to X iff A has property Y where Y is dispositional such that in circumstances Z then Y disposes A to behaviour X.

Not entirely sure if this makes sense. And not entirely sure how this relates to 'knowledge that' - but I'm working on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home